Skip to main content

1st Pass Blocking

Get Ideas Up
Story Telling Poses
Use Minimum Controls
Keep it clean
Flesh out important ideas

Action and Gesture
Framing the Action
Main Poses
Step key transitions
Timing of the Action
For Dialogue
Rough Eye Animation
Rough Mouth Poses







For the first pass I concentrated on the story telling poses and work with tangent settings= 

input: flat  
output: stepped

I was acting it out as I animated, which helped a lot. 

For this, I wanted to make sure that if the poses were silhouetted it would still be somewhat readable for viewers and make some kind of sense because 90% (well a high percentage last I remember) of how we can tell how a person feels is through body language rather than the dialogue. The face should just be the icing on the cake or exclamation mark.  


 
Most of the timing is already laid out for me with the audio and was pretty easy to block out once the audio was imported onto the time slider in Maya. 

For my first pass, I chose not to animate rough mouth poses just yet and concentrated more on the important ideas such as eyes and the body language. And later for the mouths, I was thinking of applying a more Straight Ahead method once everything else is polished through pose to pose. 

Working with the Graph Editor I managed to keep it clean by deleting key frames which I found unnecessary.

Overall though I felt that the performance, the acting didn't feel like he was reading into the crystal ball or the ideas I could play around with from the planning. But this blocking stage gave me a few more ideas on how to frame the shot. 

Comments